Professor Bartholomew's research interests include adult attachment, abuse in intimate relationships, and male same-sex relationships. Current research projects examine gender-based norms related to partner abuse, the dyadic context of partner abuse, power processes in intimate relationships, bonds between humans and companion dogs, polyamoury, and media portrayals of masturbation. Her teaching interests include close relationships, research methods, and psychological perspectives on human sexuality.
- Bartholomew, K., & Perlman, D. (Eds.). (1994). Advances In Personal Relationships Vol. 5: Attachment Processes in Adulthood. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Bartholomew, K., & Horowitz, L. M. (1991). Attachment styles among young adults: A test of a four-category model. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 61, 226-244.
- Griffin, D. W., & Bartholomew, K. (1994). Models of the self and other: Fundamental dimensions underlying measures of adult attachment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 430-445.
- Henderson, A., Bartholomew, K., & Dutton, D. G. (1997). He loves me; He loves me not: Attachment and separation resolution of abused women. Journal of Family Violence, 12, 169-191.
- Kwong, M., Bartholomew, K., Henderson, A. J. Z., & Trinke, S. (2003). The intergenerational transmission of relationship violence. Journal of Family Psychology, 17, 288-301.
- Landolt, M., Bartholomew, K., Saffrey, C., Oram, D., & Perlman, D. (2004). Gender nonconformity, child rejection, and adult attachment: A study of gay men. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 33, 117-128.
- Mayseless, O., Bartholomew, K., Henderson, A. J. Z., & Trinke, S. (2004). "I was more her Mom than she was mine": Role reversal in a community sample. Family Relations, 53, 77-85.
- Regan, K. V., Bartholomew, K., Oram, D., & Landolt, M. (2002). The structure of physical violence in male same-sex relationships. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 17, 235-252.
- Saffrey, C., Bartholomew, K., Scharfe, E., Henderson, A. J. Z., & Koopman, R. (2003). Self- and partner-perceptions of interpersonal problems and relationship functioning. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 20, 117-139.
- Stanley, J., Bartholomew, K., & Oram, D. (2004). Gay and bisexual men’s childhood sexual experiences with older partners. Journal of Sex Research, 41, 381-389.
- Trinke, S., & Bartholomew, K. (1997). Attachment hierarchies in young adults. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 14, 603-625.
- Bartholomew, K., Henderson, A. J. Z., & Marcia, J. E. (2000). Coded semi-structured interviews in social psychological research. In H. T. Reis & C. M. Judd (Eds.), Handbook of Research Methods in Social Psychology (pp. 286-312). Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.
- Bartholomew, K., Kwong, M. J., & Hart, S. D. (2001). Attachment. In J. Livesly (Ed.), The Handbook of Personality Disorders (pp. 196-230). New York: Guilford.
- Bartholomew, K., & Shaver, P. (1998). Methods of assessing adult attachment: Do they converge? In J. A. Simpson & W. S. Rholes (Eds.), Attachment Theory and Close Relationships (pp. 25-45). New York: Guilford.
- Griffin, D. W., & Bartholomew, K. (1994). The metaphysics of measurement: The case of adult attachment. In K. Bartholomew & D. Perlman (Eds.), Advances In Personal Relationships Vol. 5: Attachment Processes in Adulthood (pp. 17-52). London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Close Relationships
- Interpersonal Relations
- Issues in Research Design
- Selected Topics in Psychology
- Selected Topics in Sexuality
- Seminar in Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia V5A 1S6
- Phone: (778) 782-3607
- Fax: (778) 782-3427